The SAP carries out its activities by monitoring and evaluating the agricultural season and the food situation (getting an idea of the outcome of the campaign, possibly proposing decisions). To do this, it relies on a number of mechanisms as well as analysis and decision-making tools.
The analysis and decision-making tools are:
- The cereal balance sheet;
- The coverage rate of provincial cereal needs (source EPA);
- The qualitative monitoring reports of the campaign;
- The diagnostic missions of the DGPSA;
- Satellite monitoring of the agricultural campaign;
- Estimating the food aid needs of vulnerable populations
Execution of the Emergency Program
The implementation of the food aid program for vulnerable populations is carried out as follows:
First a report to the Council of Ministers (CM) is made on the food situation with attached recommendations;
Then, an intervention decision in the form of food aid (population & livestock): free distribution and / or sale at social price is taken in CM;
Once the decision is taken, the National Security Stock (SNS) is mobilized in the event that the deficit in the final cereal balance reaches at least 5% of the population’s needs. Otherwise, the Intervention Stock (IS) is mobilized to manage localized crises.
The actors questioned for the interventions are:
- Technical Committee of the National Food Security Council;
- CNSA Executive Secretariat
- National Council for Emergency Relief and Rehabilitation (CONASUR)
- National Security Stock Management Company (SONAGESS)
- the Decentralized Administrations of CONASUR of the localities concerned.